What's So Wrong with Suicide?

I once saw a cartoon in M.A.D. magazine where a fellow is standing on a dock watching a dollar bill with wings fly away from him as a symbol of his lost wealth. He ties a ball and chain on his leg and jumps into the sea. On the bottom, he lands next to a treasure chest bursting with gold and jewels. The title of the cartoon was "Look Before You Leap".

That's the inspiration for this song of mine (see video below). I've never truly been suicidal, but like most everyone, I've known severe depression at times. But, it always passes and life gets worth living again. Still, I began to wonder, what happens if you succomb to the darkness and then change your mind after it is too late? Consider this song a cautionary tale.

(I wrote this song back in the early 1970s when I was in my late teens):



Here's the same song as I re-recorded it last year:



Finally, here's the music track only (no voices) from the re-recording. It's a bit monotonous, but it builds nicely and you can hear the string section a lot better. I think it stands by itself pretty well:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tannin Sensitivity (Sensitivity to Tannins)

The War Between Creativity and Structure