"Lies" by the Knickerbockers - an inspriation for "That Thing You Do" ?

When I first heard "That Thing You Do" - it seemed so generically 60s/70s in tempo, mood and chording that I was sure it must have been loosely based on some other song actually from that era.  While it sounds a bit like The Beatles in style, it doesn't really correspond to any of their songs directly, and in fact a lot of groups shared that sound at the time.

Recently, an obscure song from that era - "Lies" by the Knickerbockers -  was brought to my attention and immediately I felt it might be an inspiration for That Thing You Do that I'd suspected, especially in the bridge and chorus.

I've included videos of both songs below so you can judge for yourself:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tannin Sensitivity (Sensitivity to Tannins)

The War Between Creativity and Structure